EPCs - What are they?

Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) give information on how to make your home more energy efficient and reduce carbon dioxide emissions.

Energy performance Certificates (or EPCs) were part of the 'HIPs' that were introduced in August 2007. The 'HIPs' were removed in May 2010 as they were not considered essential, however, the EPCs were kept and became mandatory and are still essentially necessary.


What do EPCs tell you?

EPCs contain:

  • information on your home's energy use and carbon dioxide emissions
  • a recommendation report with suggestions to reduce energy use and carbon dioxide emissions

Energy use and carbon dioxide emissions

EPCs carry ratings that compare the current energy efficiency and carbon dioxide emissions with potential figures that your home could achieve. Potential figures are calculated by estimating what the energy efficiency and carbon dioxide emissions would be if energy saving measures were put in place.

The rating measures the energy and carbon emission efficiency of your home using a grade from ‘A’ to ‘G’. An ‘A’ rating is the most efficient, while ‘G’ is the least efficient. The average efficiency grade to date is 'D'. All homes are measured using the same calculations, so you can compare the energy efficiency of different properties.

  Around 27 per cent of the UK’s carbon dioxide emissions come from domestic homes. Carbon dioxide contributes to climate change.


The recommendation report

EPCs also provide a detailed recommendation report showing what you could do to help reduce the amount of energy you use and your carbon dioxide emissions. The report lists:

  • suggested improvements, like fitting loft insulation
  • possible cost savings per year, if the improvements are made
  • how the recommendations would change the energy and carbon emission rating of the property

You don’t have to act on the recommendations in the recommendation report. However, if you decide to do so, it could make your property more attractive for sale or rent by making it more energy efficient.

The certificate also contains:

  • detailed estimates of potential energy use, carbon dioxide emissions and fuel costs
  • details of the person who carried out the EPC assessment
  • who to contact if you want to make a complaint
                                                                                What does an EPC look like?

Information about energy efficiency and carbon emissions is summarised in two charts that show the energy and carbon dioxide emission ratings. The charts look similar to those supplied on electrical appliances, like fridges and washing machines. To see an example of an Energy Performance Certificate click below:

Example.pdf Example.pdf
Size : 118.528 Kb
Type : pdf

Who needs an EPC?

All homes bought, sold or rented require an EPC. 

You should receive an EPC when you are thinking about buying or renting a home. You’ll need to provide one if you are selling or letting your home. An EPC is valid for ten year

How do I get an EPC? 

An EPC is required by law when a building is built, sold or put up for rent. If you are a landlord or homeowner and need to provide an EPC, you'll need to contact an accredited domestic energy assessor. They will carry out the assessment and produce the certificate.

Accreditation schemes make sure that domestic energy assessors (DEAs) have the right skills and are able to carry out the survey to agreed standards. These schemes ensure that DEAs:

  • adhere to standards, codes of conduct and procedures
  • are qualified to conduct an energy assessment, produce the certificate and give advice
  • have the correct insurance
  • are part of a register
  • have had a criminal records check
  • have a complaints procedure

Domestic energy assessors may be employed by a company (like an estate agent or energy company) or be self-employed. Always check that your domestic energy assessor belongs to an accreditation scheme. 

What are Floorplans?

A floor plan is a drawing that shows a room as seen from above. Everything in a floor plan appears flat. Architects use floor plans to show what a room or building will look like. Anyone who draws (or drafts) a floor plan is called a draftsperson.

Floor plans usually show the measurements (called dimension lines) for how long things are in real life.  Other dimension lines may show the length of windows, the distances from walls to windows, and so on.

Floor plans may be drafted to scale, which means reducing the size of a drawing so the whole room can fit on a piece of paper. A common scale is 1/4 inch equals 1 foot. This means that if something is drawn 1/4 inch long in a floor plan, it is 1 foot long in real life. If something is drawn the exact same size as it is in real life, it is called "full scale." A draftsperson always indicates the scale used in a floor plan.

Floor plans may be drafted by hand with a pencil (to draw thick or thin lines), ruler (to draw straight lines to a specific length), a protractor (to draw the angles where walls meet), and graph paper (which usually has 1/4 inch boxes, to make floor plans easier to draft in 1/4"=1' scale). They can also be drafted by computer, using CAD (computer-aided design) software, such as AutoCAD or MS PowerPoint. CAD software makes it very easy to draft scale drawings.  

Who needs a Floorplan and why?

Floorplans are used in either the building sector (by Architects) for designing buildings and providing layouts of a new property (blue prints) or in the marketing industry giving layouts to prospective purchasers who have not yet viewed a property. Their purpose is to give any potential client/purchaser a view of the layout of the property so they can decide if they are interested and will view it.  Anyone who is trying to sell their property can get a floorplan but mostly floorplans are used by Agents and private sales, for marketing purposes.

**Heres how we can help**

We are a specialist company of Chartered Surveyors and Elmhurst Accredited DEAs (Domestic Energy Assessors).

We can be found on the energy performance certificate register website. This website is run by Landmark, on behalf of the government. To find out more visit the direct.gov website.

We offer the highest standard of EPCs at the most competitive prices (Please see 'Prices' section for feescales and ordering an EPC). We book aim to book ASAP, with same day turn-around as the appointment.

Copyright © 2011 CBE Surveying Services Ltd. - All rights reserved | Registered in England and Wales Company No: 6090679  Email: info@cbesurveyingservices.co.uk /de-groot@hotmail.co.uk